Act for Kids is a prominent provider of prevention, professional therapy and support services for children who have suffered abuse and support for families at risk. With over 25 centres nationally, we have supported thousands of children and their families for more than 30 years. In 2021 - 2022 we provided services to 39,002 people, including over 23,000 children.
Through prevention, treatment, research, education and advocacy, we are committed to helping keep kids safe, heal from trauma and lead happy lives.
About the job...
We are seeking a Part-Time or Full-Time Therapist to join our caring, compassionate and friendly team in Gladstone until 30 June 2023.
Extension of employment contract beyond this date is subject to the continued successful government funding of the program.
About the program...
Act for Kids provides a specialist therapy service in Gladstone, working with children and young people who have experienced sexual harm or display harmful sexual behaviours. The role will include an early intervention focus and working holistically with their families/parents/carers to prevent further harm. You will work with children, young people and families where sexual abuse and/or harmful sexual behaviours are impacting on the safety and wellbeing of children and young people.
- Provide an outstanding therapeutic service to children, young people and their families who are referred to the Gladstone Sexual Abuse Counselling service.
- Identify and work toward client goals and achieve successful case outcomes for clients.
- Maintain a client case load as negotiated with your manager.
- Provide trauma informed, developmentally sensitive and culturally safe counselling and support to children and young people who have experienced unwanted sexual contact and to address harmful sexual behaviours.
- Encourage and strengthening supportive relationships with adult caregivers.
- Enhance psychosocial outcomes for children and young people impacted by trauma.
- Tertiary qualifications in a relevant discipline (psychology, social work, allied health).
- Where applicable, registration with the appropriate Board under the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency.
- Membership of a relevant professional body (e.g. Australian Psychological Society, Australian Association of Social Workers, Australian Counselling Association) is desirable.
- At least two (2) years’ experience working with children, young people and their families in similar roles.
- Experience providing individual and group therapy to children, young people and their families.
- Understanding of the impacts of trauma on child and family functioning.
- Knowledge of current trauma treatment trends and child protection legislation and policy reforms.
- A high level of cultural awareness and experience working with families from different backgrounds, particularly Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
- Willingness to work as part of a team and to cultivate a strength based approach.
With over 30% of our employees identifying as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander, we encourage and welcome applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
About the pay...
- Position is classified Level 6.1 – 6.3 under the SCHCADS award;
- Salary range is $96,970 - $101,251 plus superannuation (pro-rata for part-time);
- In addition, as a registered Not for Profit/Charity, we offer excellent salary packaging options through RemServ which can significantly increase your take home pay.
About the benefits...
- Overall winner of HRD Employer of Choice 2019 (100-499 employees)
- Winner of HRD Employer of Choice 2019 in (1) Health & Wellbeing (2) Leadership (3) Work-Life Balance
- Strong values-based organisation
- Excellent professional development options (including annual professional development fund opportunities)
- Paid parental leave and study assistance
- Employee Assistance Program including Health & Well-being Portal
- A friendly and flexible work environment to support work/life balance
- Eligibility for a positive Working with Children Check in the applicable state of employment in Australia or exemption based on professional qualifications and registration.
- Current driver’s licence.
- Applicants must be eligible to legally work in Australia and proof of eligibility may be requested.
- Fully vaccinated with the prescribed doses of an approved vaccine against COVID-19 or have an approved medical exemption
- Job applications will be reviewed as soon as submitted. If you are interested in this opportunity, please send your cover letter and CV as soon as possible.
- Click on ‘Apply Now’ to submit an application.
- For more information about the role, contact Linda Tighe on 0437 551 775 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to be taken to the Act for Kids available positions page where the position description can be located under the relevant vacancy