About TAFE Queensland
TAFE Queensland is proud to be the largest and most experienced Vocational Education and Training provider in the State. For more than 139 years, TAFE Queensland has delivered practical and industry-relevant training to provide students with the skills and experience they need to build lifelong careers. We have recently been named the State Winner of the 2021 Large Training Provider of the Year at the prestigious Queensland Training Awards. Our training is delivered to students and apprentices on-site, online, in the workplace, or on-campus to give people the skills they need to enrich their communities, support their industries, and strengthen their local economies.
By working at TAFE Queensland, you can be a part of a highly experienced workforce closely connected with their industries and dedicated to delivering best practices and innovative training.
We are seeking a professional with current industry experience and knowledge in diesel/heavy automotive to join our team of teachers.
The role of the TAFE teacher as a professional educator is to help, construct, guide and enhance the educative process. The teacher delivers educational programs and facilitates learning, enabling students to achieve their desired outcomes.
Generous employee benefits:
- 12.75% Super Contribution
- 4 weeks Recreation leave per annum pro-rata
- 5 weeks non-attendance time (time to prepare for delivery) per annum pro-rata
- Overtime paid at $96.67 per hour
You will love this position if you:
- Are passionate about sharing your practical skills within the diesel / heavy automotive trade.
- Want to work as a part of a collaborative and dynamic teaching team and are committed to building the skills of students.
- Have a demonstrated commitment to delivering training in an adult learning environment.
As a Teacher you will be responsible for:
- Outcome focussed vocational education and training (VET) programs;
- Linking with industry, schools, universities, community, other TAFE and VET providers;
- Maintaining currency with industry practices, workplace delivery and contemporary teaching methodologies and philosophies; and
- Working in an environment of ongoing change and continuous improvement.
This position reports to the relevant Business Manager
This is a Fixed Term, Full time contract, to 30 June 2023 unless otherwise determined.
The position will be based primarily at Townsville Trade Training Centre however you may be required to perform work at other TAFE Queensland campuses.
- Display teaching competence and a commitment to a student centred approach.
- Lead and manage effective teaching and learning within classroom, workplace, simulated and online learning environments with a focus on student engagement, progression and success.
- Utilise flexible, blended and inclusive learning techniques, options and products which are responsive to various student cohorts, including commencing students and those with priority needs.
- Design, develop and implement assessment tools and processes that meet industry skills standards (i.e. endorsed components from National Training Packages).
- Participate in continuous improvement activities to enhance the quality of training and assessment provided to students.
- Develop effective working relationships with students, client groups and staff by participating in team meetings, industry reference groups, student events and forums, inviting feedback and engaging in reflection.
- Ensure that students adopt and practise accepted safety procedures and sustainability in the learning and assessment environment.
- Contribute to planning, design, development, implementation and review of educational programs.
- Participate in relevant professional learning activities to develop and maintain currency of personal and professional skills, knowledge and attitudes for both industry and learning, teaching and assessment.
- Undertake general administration duties including monitoring of student attendance and progression, facilitating access to educational support and providing effective feedback and advice.
- Contribute to the success of transformation and cultural change through promoting and modelling the established values of Safety First, Working Together, Focussing on Our Customer, Showing Initiative and Taking Responsibility.
How you will be assessed
The ideal applicant will be someone who has the following key capabilities:
- Possess skills and knowledge of national training packages and accredited courses to support competency development and the ability to respond positively to industry and individual needs.
- Demonstrate capacity for best practice in the management of teaching and learning activities including the development of industry relevant, flexible, innovative, technology enhanced learning options, training products and solutions.
- Demonstrate capacity for initiative, self-management, teamwork and sustainable practice, with the ability to accept, promote and manage change through the use of well-developed interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrate commitment to self-development with the focus on maintaining skills contemporary industry and teaching practices and the use of educational technologies and Learning Management Systems to support learning.
- Possess sound knowledge of safe, equitable and anti-discriminatory work practices and demonstrate ability to be flexible, inclusive, responsive and deliver quality student experience.
a. Vocational competencies at least to the level being delivered and assessed;
- AUR31116 – Certificate III in Heavy Commercial vehicle Mechanical or
- AUR31216 – Certificate III in Mobile Plant Technology or equivalent
b. Possession of one of the following training and assessment credentials:
- TAE40116 - Certificate IV in Training and Assessment;
- TAE40110 - Certificate IV in Training and Assessment plus TAELLN411 Address Adult Language, Literacy and Numeracy Skills and TAEASS502 Design and Develop Assessment Tools;
- TAE50111 - Diploma of Vocational Education and Training;
- TAE50116 - Diploma of Vocational Education and Training; or its successor;
- TAE50211 - Diploma of Training Design and Development;
- TAE50216 - Diploma of Training Design and Development, or its successor;
- Higher-level qualification in adult education (approved by TAFE Queensland).
c. Current industry skills directly relevant to the training and assessment being provided;
d. Current knowledge and skills in vocational training and learning that informs the training and assessment provided;
e. Evidence of undertaking professional development in the fields of the knowledge and practice of vocational training, learning and assessment including competency-based training and assessment.
**If you do not possess any of the above training and assessment credentials, we encourage you to express your interest as we can offer a pathway to attaining a qualification on the job.
Note: Proof of qualifications and industry currency/experience to be provided at interview.
How to apply
If you’re interested in this role, click the ‘Apply’ button to submit your application via the TAFE Queensland Recruitment Portal. When submitting your application, please ensure you provide the following:
- A detailed resume;
- A cover letter that outlines your know skills, abilities, knowledge and experience in response to the “How you will be assessed” criteria above (maximum of 2 pages in total; and
- The contact details for two referees (one of whom is your current supervisor)
Closing date: 29 June 2022
Job Reference Number: TQ2022-054
For further information, please contact:
Karen Burnell, Business Manager – Engineering and Automotive
(07) 4750 5302 or 0409 472 303