About this Opportunity
- Fixed Term (until 30.05.2024), Full Time
- Coastal Marine Ecosystems Research Centre
- CQUniversity Gladstone
- Total Remuneration $98,242 to $105,806 pa (including salary of $83,016 to $89,408 plus 17% superannuation and 12.96% leave loading)
Join an organisation with an unbreakable belief that quality education, training and research should be available to everyone – regardless of background, location or life circumstances.
Working at CQUniversity
Headquartered on the shoreline of the Gladstone marina, the Coastal Marine Ecosystems Research Centre (CMERC) is the only coastal and marine research facility based in Central Queensland and features world-class research equipment and laboratories with access to cutting-edge analytical capabilities. CMERC staff have strong links with local industry and community groups and are working closely with Traditional Owners to empower them as custodians of Land and Sea Country.
Our goal is to undertake research that works with nature to build an economically and environmentally sustainable future to enrich our coastal communities. To achieve this, CMERC is taking a holistic approach that recognises the place of the communities and industries that live and work along our coastlines. This means our work entails far more than just monitoring the condition of our environments – CMERC is undertaking proactive applied research from coastal catchments to sea to develop practical solutions to the challenges facing coastal and marine ecosystems. Current projects include seagrass restoration through seed nursery development; seaweed mariculture for biofiltration and working with nature solutions for sustainable coastal development.
We are seeking an experienced specialist to provide technical support to aquaria and laboratory operations, research and commercial activities. Your key duties will include providing technical expertise and support for the planning and development of research projects, overseeing specialist technical facilities (in particular marine aquaria systems) and contributing to the collection, preparation and processing of biological samples from the field. If you are a skilled laboratory technician with an understanding of the operation and maintenance of aquarium systems, but equally at ease in a fieldwork situation, join an exceptional, high performing research team at a truly great University.
- Relevant degree with subsequent relevant experience; or extensive experience and specialist expertise; or broad knowledge in technical research or commercial fields; or an equivalent combination of experience and/or education/training.
- Proficiency and knowledge of:
- Specialist equipment such as aquaria systems in accordance with Workplace Health and Safety requirements.
- Operating analytical instrumentation, and Instructing others in the use of specialised laboratory equipment and associated data capture hardware.
- Collection and processing of biological samples for research support, including occasional fieldwork.
For further information about this position, please refer to the Position Description.
Apply today for a career that changes lives
Applications Close: 11:59pm, Tuesday, 4 October 2022
Job Requisition ID: 2359
When submitting your application, please include: Your Current CV or Resume, and a 1-2 page Cover Letter highlighting your relevant skills, experience and suitability for the position. Please note, applicants for the position must have full time work rights.
CQUniversity is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes diversity in the workplace. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and CQUniversity’s domestic and international student graduates with post-study work rights are encouraged to apply.