The Observer has a proud heritage of covering the news that matters to readers and is looking for an agile reporter to continue that tradition in a fast-paced, digitally focused environment.
The role is based at Gladstone and is also part of a broader Central Queensland regional team which includes The Morning Bulletin at Rockhampton.
We’re looking for an enthusiastic and resilient individual who has the ability to build a rapport with a wide range of people and can deliver engaging, high-quality content that matters to readers.
The best candidate will be confident and skilled in news gathering, have a solid grasp of social media and a natural curiosity about the community.
Join a team within the nation’s most influential and dynamic media organisation in a region that has both a dynamic industrial hub and islands and natural beauty on its doorstep.
This is a prime opportunity for a keen reporter to take their career to the next level in a company that can provide an exciting career path and values people willing to move so they can grow professionally.
What’s the role?
- Source and create compelling stories that resonate with an audience
- Deliver relevant content that both engages our existing subscribers and attracts new readers
- Work under deadline pressure in a fast-paced environment to cover breaking stories without compromising on quality or accuracy
- Focus on online engagement and drive subscription growth
- Demonstrate initiative to search for stories that are not already breaking and identify unique angles that drive conversation and move the issue forward
- Digest digital data and use it in planning content
Who are you?
- Thrives on the challenge of meeting business outcomes and reader expectations and actively looks to exceed them
- Strong news judgement and interview skills
- Has experience in digital storytelling
- Willing to embrace change and demonstrate agility in a fast-paced sector
- Self-starter who can maintain high levels of personal organisation and time management
- Understands social media, SEO, digital data
- Strong motivation, a collaborative work ethic and ability to meet deadlines
- Detail-oriented, able to stay calm under pressure and know how to balance priorities
What’s in it for you?
- Exclusively ours - Access to publications and products from across the News Corp family
- Health & wellbeing - Advice, support and facilities for healthy minds and bodies (including an onsite gym at our Adelaide, Brisbane & Sydney offices)
- Time off - News offers a range of leave options to support your personal needs and moments that matter in life: Parental leave, Birthday leave, Volunteer leave, Career break and Compassionate leave.
- Helping you grow - Development opportunities (including diversity and inclusion -focused education series) and recognition
- Financial well-being - Support in making the most of your money
- Perks & discounts - Exclusive offers across a range of products and services
- Giving back - Make a difference in our communities.
- Inclusive workplace benefits & facilities - join an employee resource group, get access to multi-faith quiet rooms or utilise our parents rooms
Who are we?
The Observer is part of Australia’s most influential media organisation. Each month more than 17 million Australians choose to consume news and information from News Corp’s digital and print products – more than any other media group in Australia.
Apply now or for more information on careers at News Corp Australia visit www.newscorpaustralia.com/careers
We know that diversity strengthens our teams and newsrooms as we seek to tell stories that represent the diverse communities of Australia that we serve. Our people make us unique and we all have a story. We encourage people of all ages, backgrounds, races, cultures, religions, sexual orientations, abilities and gender identities to apply. Inclusion is important to us and we want everyone at News to bring their whole-selves to work. If you require any accommodations or adjustments throughout the recruitment process, or would like to outline which pronouns you prefer, please feel free to let us know.