Process Technician- Materials Handling
- Permanent employment which includes a huge range of additional benefits
- Day / Night Lifestyle roster – work 6 months of the year
- Coastal residential role - Gladstone
About the role
Finding better ways to provide the materials the world needs.
We have an opportunity for an experienced Process Technician at our Yarwun refinery within the Materials Handling team.
This role is a great opportunity for someone who is safety focused and looking to advance their knowledge and skills in the heavy industry.
In addition to paying competitively and providing great benefits packages, we want you to live the lifestyle that is right for you and your family. And because of our size and scale, there are many opportunities to learn, grow and do more than you ever thought possible.
Every hour of every shift, your safety and wellbeing is our number one priority. We do the work only if it is safe, and we invest to make sure every member of the team has the quality tools they need to do their job.
Reporting to the Team Leader – Production and working in a diverse team, within Materials Handling area you will be:
- Operating and providing technical input to fixed plant process equipment
- Utilizing problem solving methodology to identify root causes and corrective actions
- Conducting routine inspections, housekeeping, isolations and permitting
- Operating mobile equipment which could include Ship unloader, Ship loader and Dozer
- Promoting a can do attitude, working independently and using your own initiative
- Promoting and identifying HSE opportunities to improve equipment, processes and behaviours.
What you’ll bring
- Proven experience working in a heavy industrial environment trade or process
- Ability to work on roster, at heights and confined spaces
- Port experience would be ideal but not essential
- Dozer ticket and experience
- Ship loader and/or unloader experience
- Stockpiles and wharf experience
- Valid drivers licence
What we offer
Be recognised for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A permanent position working directly for Rio Tinto
- A competitive base salary reflective of your skills and experience with annual incentive program
- Comprehensive medical benefits including subsidised private health insurance for employees and immediate family
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Company provided insurance cover
- Extensive salary sacrifice & salary packaging options
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
About Rio Tinto
Rio Tinto is a leading global mining and materials company. We operate in 35 countries where we produce iron ore, copper, aluminium, critical minerals and other materials needed for the global energy transition and for people, communities, and nations to thrive. We have been mining for almost 150 years and operate with knowledge built up across generations and continents. Our purpose is finding better ways to provide the materials the world needs – striving for innovation and continuous improvement to produce materials with low emissions and to the right environmental, social and governance standards. But we can’t do it on our own, so we’re focused on creating partnerships to solve problems, create win-win and meet opportunities.
Where you’ll be working
With production beginning in 2004 at our Yarwun alumina refinery, located approximately 10 kilometres north-west of Gladstone in Central Queensland, today the operation produces more than three million tonnes of alumina per year.
Around 700 people support the operation, with an additional 350 contractors on site each year as part of scheduled maintenance shutdown activities. Thanks to its ‘Industry 4.0’ focus, Yarwun is also a leader in trialling new technologies to improve operations on site, including 3D printing, robotics and drones in confined spaces, and is home to Rio Tinto’s innovative Queensland Research and Development Centre (QRDC).
Along with Boyne Smelters Limited and Queensland Alumina Limited, our Yarwun Operation supports the local community in a wide range of initiatives through Here for Gladstone.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.