We have an opportunity for a Process Engineer to join our team in Gladstone. Australia’s largest cement plant, the major assets include a 1.7 million tonne per year capacity clinker kiln, a lime kiln, two cement mills and significant material handling equipment including stacking, reclaiming, product packaging, road and rail dispatch and bulk ship-loading.
In this role, you will be the connection point between the Control Room Operators, the Production team and Process team. You will work Monday to Friday, day shift hours. Your focus will be on day-to-day operations and providing technical oversight and expertise to other teams. You will be able to see the impact of your decisions in the performance of the plant and play a critical role in the success of our operations.
About the role:
As a Process Engineer you will:
- Ensure that plant and equipment is operated safely within target control parameters
- Measure and report on critical control parameter compliance daily and weekly
- Liaise with control room personnel and provide both guidance and direction in changing control parameter targets or to make process interventions as necessary to meet targets
- Review trends and data on a day-to-day basis to ensure compliance to operating control parameters, to identify adverse trends and determine their root causes and to identify opportunities to improve the daily performance
- Use statistical process control to measure, understand and reduce process variability
- Provide twice-daily updates to operations team and report on plant status and performance
- Update target control parameters to optimise operations and improve output through the results of detailed data analysis
- Monitor clinker, lime and cement chemistry trends, taking corrective action if necessary
- Investigate process upsets to determine root cause analysis and recommend and drive implementation
- Conduct and report on daily field inspections of the plant and daily thermography scans of the kiln, calciner and cyclone tower
- Lead meetings, maintain records, develop reports
- Conduct process trials, energy and mass balance audits
- Ensure the successful execution of process trials
- Liaise with the Maintenance team in regards to ensuring process critical preventative or reactive maintenance is conducted with urgency
- Attend morning start of shift toolbox meetings
- Bachelor of Chemical Engineering or equivalent
- Minimum 5+ years' experience as a process engineer in the cement industry including clinker kiln process optimisation
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing process technology improvement initiatives
- Good written and verbal communication skills with the ability to interact and develop good relations with all teams across a cement plant
- Possess high energy and positive ‘can do’ attitude traits, taking pride in delivering results
- Commercial acumen, including report writing skills
- High safety awareness
- Knowledge of engineering concepts e.g., P&IDS, TIS, HLC drawings/concepts
- Process technology knowledge
Why Work for Cement Australia?
- Join the team at Australia’s largest cement plant
- Have an impact on the success of our site
- Opportunity to get involved in improvement projects
- Access to international expertise
An icon of the Australian cement industry, Cement Australia is the nation’s leading supplier of cementitious products and services.
Whilst cement is in the name, the business portfolio is diverse, comprising a series of heavy industrial manufacturing operations, coal and limestone mines, bulk distribution transport fleet, rail and shipping interactions and hazardous waste treatment and alternative fuel production (Geocycle).
As an organisation, we offer our employees work-life balance, a close-knit and collaborative team whilst providing you with the tools and opportunity to make your mark. Our vision is to create a safe, healthy, productive and sustainable business and we are looking for like-minded professionals who align with our company values.
As part of the recruitment process you will be required to complete a pre-employment medical and a background check. Cement Australia is an Equal Opportunity employer and open to residents of Australia with valid working rights.
Build your dream career and lifestyle with Australia’s largest and most respected cement manufacturer and innovator.