selectability is a not-for-profit charity committed to improving mental wellbeing and contributing to suicide prevention across regional Queensland.
We provide and coordinate NDIS supports, offer clinical services and deliver government funded mental wellbeing, carer and youth support programs.
We are one of the largest providers of mental health services across our diverse footprint – extending from Cairns to Rockhampton and Palm Island to Mount Isa … and growing.
Our focus is always the individual and their goals and aspirations.
At selectability our values define what we stand for and how we work.
Commitment... Consumers, their goals and their rights are everything
Accountability... We take responsibility for our actions
Compassion... We understand and care deeply about our consumers
Respect... We acknowledge that everyone is different and promote equal human rights
Integrity... We do the right thing even when no one is looking
Innovation... We believe that every day is an opportunity to improve
Positivity... We engender courage and passion for a better future
About the role
selectability is searching for a Permanent Part-Time Peer Support Worker (minimum 50 hours per fortnight) to join our growing Sarina Team.
As a Peer Support Worker, you will be using a person-centered approach, your lived experience and knowledge of mental health to facilitate group activities and programs to help those who identify as living with mental illness.
You will draw on your lived experience of recovery from mental illness to instil hope and confidence in others. As a Peer Worker, you will to provide person-centered, trauma-informed support, which values lived experience.
The key responsibilities of the Peer Support Worker include but are not limited to:
Support individuals with mental illness
Improve access to support services, mental health outcomes and equity in service availability for individuals and groups across our region
community and stakeholder engagement
Reduce the avoidable need for more intense and acute health services
Contribute to the design and implementation of recovery-orientated group programs
Facilitate group activities and programs to support our consumers
Data management and some administrative duties
- a genuine interest in mental health (experience is desirable)
- a commitment to our values
- excellent communication skills
- “lived experience” with mental health recovery
- working knowledge of mental health and a person-cantered approach to mental illness
- a commitment to best practice
- the ability to work outside standard business hours, including weekends
- the ability to quickly and effectively engage consumers
- the ability to work with culturally and linguistically diverse communities and individuals
- an interest in art, craft, healthy living and exercise
Qualifications and requirements:
- relevant tertiary qualifications (desirable)
- experience in the mental health industry (desirable)
- a Positive Notice Working With Children (Blue Card) (or ability to obtain prior to employment)
- a current Yellow Card Exemption or NDIS Workers Screening Clearance (or ability to obtain prior to employment)
- CPR and First Aid (or ability to obtain)
- a current drivers licence (minimum P1)
- a roadworthy, registered and comprehensively insured car
- NDIS worker orientation module “Quality, Safety and You” (Free to obtain online at https://training.ndiscommission.gov.au/)
About the offer
We offer a range of benefits including:
- up to $15,900 FBT salary packaging benefits
- permanent part time hourly rate ranges from $23.16 - $31.41
- 50% discounted training via our RTO
- flexible working arrangements
- Career pathways and opportunities for development
- Employee Assistance Program offering confidential counselling support for employees
If this sounds like you, please submit your resume and a cover letter outlining your skills and experience and why you are the best person for this role.
If you would like more information please contact selectability's HR team on 07 48 643 000
Don’t delay….applications will close as soon as we find the right person.