Santos is a global low-cost producer of oil and gas committed to ever-cleaner energy and fuels production with operations across Australia, Papua New Guinea, Timor-Leste and North America.
At Santos, our commitment is to be a global leader in the transition to cleaner energy and clean fuels, by helping the world decarbonise to reach net-zero emissions in an affordable and sustainable way.
Santos is one of Australia’s biggest domestic gas suppliers, a leading Asia Pacific LNG supplier and is committed to supplying the critical fuels such as oil and gas in a more sustainable way through decarbonising projects such as the Moomba CCS project.
For more than 65 years, Santos has been working in partnership with local communities, providing local jobs and business opportunities, safely and sustainably developing its natural gas resources, and powering industries and households.
With a strong, low-cost base business supplying oil and gas and a clear action plan to develop cleaner energy and clean fuels, Santos remains resilient, value accretive and at the leading edge of the energy transition.
With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
About the role
Based in Curtis Island and reporting to the Operations Supervisor, this position is focused on developing, coaching, isolation management & training operators across the GLNG plant to develop their competency levels across all areas. The senior operator plays a critical role in helping the site achieve its vision to cross skill the workforce by imparting their specialist knowledge & expertise across all the operations team.
This is a residential role in Curtis Island so residents from Gladstone are encouraged to apply!
Accountabilities are delivered in line with the Santos Management System (SMS), Santos Delegation of Authority (DOA) and Corporate Governance and Safety requirements. Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Setting the benchmark for the safe & efficient operation of the plant
- Guiding coaches & builds operator competency across all areas of the plant
- Driving high performance by demonstrating leading practice for best in class operation
- Providing senior input for the most complex operation tasks on site and being available for back-up should minimum manning require their resourcing
- Working across the permit & maintenance teams to identify process improvements for the efficient operation of the plant
- Working across all crews to gain exposure to all operators on site and a close working relationship to understand their competence & development needs
- Collaborating with Process Supervisors to ensure each crew is being sufficiently developed, provide input directly into each operator’s development plan and provide feedback on performance
- Providing input to more complex situations requiring experienced operational expertise as the senior lead
- Creating a learning environment whilst driving high performance
- Developing a thorough understanding of the competency system and role requirements and drive continuous improvement to ensure industry leading training
- Contributing to the development of Operational procedures, training manuals and other documentation
- Participating in Campaign Maintenance, shutdown and turnaround planning and execution, including development of procedures and shutdown work packs.
- Playing a leading role in responding safely and effectively to emergency situations to make the Area/Plant safe
- Contributing to the safety record of the plant by playing an active role in the reduction of incidents by demonstrating to operators how to safely operate the plant
The successful candidate will have relevant tertiary technical/trade qualification/Process Plant Operations certificate with at least 5 years LNG plant operation experience in gas process or production operations focused on water treatment, utilities, Power Generation, Ship loading and Refrigerant storage in plant or field. Must maintain Fitness for Work in accordance with company standards.
While we ideally seek candidates with oil & gas or process industry experience for onshore operations, including shift work, it’s the mindset and attributes we are focused on that will be critical to your success. This will include an ability to work alongside technical and business professionals, possessing a team-oriented approach and strong interpersonal skills. If you are actively seeking opportunities for continuous improvement and driving efficiencies and can bring team members and peers along through collaborative strategies, we would like to hear from you!
Supporting a Diverse Workforce
Santos acknowledges that we operate on the traditional lands of Aboriginal people. We recognise the traditional rights to maintain the culture, identities, traditions, and customs on their country. We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our ongoing success.
We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, or anything else that makes us different.
Australian Aboriginal and / or Torres Strait Islander jobseekers are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Applications must be submitted via the online recruitment system before COB 28 March 2023.
A requirement of this role is that you will need to have in place the legal work rights for Australia to apply.