POSITIONS VACANT FOR:
Heron Island Resort is looking for an experienced casual Master IV (AMSA Master <35m NC) to operate the Fast Ferry "Heron Islander", transporting guests, researchers and staff to and from the Island. Holding a capacity of 190 guests, you will ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for the passengers.
Heron Island really is a special place, a natural coral cay located off the coast of Gladstone. It's not another Great Barrier Reef resort, it's a resort on the Great Barrier Reef. With its crystal clear waters & idyllic dive locations, an amazing array of marine and birdlife.
Working with our professional team, these positions will assist in the daily operation of our vessel operating from Heron Island to Gladstone. We run a commercial guest transport service which also supports our resort with a critical lifeline of goods from the mainland.
AS MASTER IV YOUR ROLE WILL:
- Provide a safe and enjoyable experience for our guests;
- Ensure the safety of passengers and crew by implementing vessel safety procedures, monitoring and addressing crew and passengers' adherence to vessel safety procedures, conducting regular safety drills, ensuring thorough induction and training of all employees, and implementing emergency procedures as required;
- Provide a safe and comfortable transfer of all passengers to the Inner and Outer reef;
- Take ultimate responsibility for all safety aspects of any vessel in your charge or management;
- Ensure your vessel (s) is maintained in clean, seaworthy and mechanically sound state;
- Protect the safety of property, including vessels and equipment, passenger baggage, cargo and freight.
BOTH MASTER IV WILL BE TEAM PLAYERS WHO WILL BRING TO THE ROLE:
- Marine Radio Operator's Certificate of Proficiency
- QLD Workplace Health & Safety at Sea
- First Aid & CPR Certificates
- Previous experience working on vessels and a thorough understanding of Vessel Safety Operations and Marine Safety
- Previous maintenance and troubleshooting experience
- In the event of an emergency; an ability to take control, adhere to given directions and direct others (e.g. passengers) to safety
- Current Driver's License
JOB SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS - MASTER IV
The Master IV will be educating passengers on local area marine information and contribute to other boat operations, including the Dive and Fishing Vessels. In this leadership role you will be central to ensuring our guests experience the very highest levels of service and safety whilst on our vessels.
- Master Class IV (AMSA Master <35m NC) Certificate (Minimum) with high speed ferry experience preferred;
- Proven experience skippering similar vessels on a commercial vessel, preferably with experience in remote locations, rostering and maintenance scheduling;
- Preferred dive and fishing experience;
- You will have excellent communication skills, be a confident and experienced skipper, used to supervising large groups of people with the ability to engage and motivate both your staff, and our guests. Your attention to detail will be key in this role, as will strong organisational skills and the ability to take control and give directions to other crew and guests in the case of an incident or emergency.
This position is based from our Gladstone office. The salary is $82,000.00 per year.
You will need to provide evidence of your right to work in Australia and National Criminal Record check.
To learn more about Heron Island Resort visit our website www.heronisland.com
Please apply via the Seek website including your up to date resume and covering letter.