Manager Health Safety and Wellbeing
Council is seeking to appoint a permanent full time Manager Health Safety and Wellbeing to contribute to Council’s success.
- Inspire Safety Leadership engaging with a diverse range of stakeholders
- Opportunity to help reinvigorate Health Safety and Wellbeing at Gladstone Regional Council
- Be supported by our transparent executive leadership team.
About the Role
This position plays a key role in contributing to the effective strategic and operational workplace health, safety and wellness performance of Council. The purpose of this position is to build leadership and organisational capability, ensuring a behavioural based safety culture that results in a safe and healthy working environment for all employees.
Your role will include:
- Promoting a positive Workplace Health and Safety culture and ensuring active compliance
- Working collaboratively with the business to find solutions and deliver meaningful change
- Continuing to develop your career with a progressive local government organisation that is committed to a dynamic, resilient and diverse future for the region
- Making a real difference in our community and shaping the future of our organisation by providing strategic input to improve and innovate our health and safety management system
- Being present, pro-active and solutions-focused and recognising that the community is the core of our business.
You will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree qualification in Work, Health & Safety or related discipline and extensive demonstrated experience within a complex, high risk environment.
- Demonstrated comprehensive experience leading high-level investigations (e.g. Incident Causal Assessment Method) involving internal and external parties.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing strategic and operational safety plans that deliver improved safety results.
- Demonstrated experience in building a high-performance safety culture, including developing and implementing safety programs that deliver improved safety results.
- Previous experience working with Executive teams to identify safety improvements and deliver comprehensive safety reporting, including trend analysis of health and safety results.
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to prioritise tasks, meet deadlines, and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Previous experience in developing and implementing community safety programs.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, with emphasis in the areas of consultation, advocacy, negotiation, influencing conflict resolution and resilience.
- Effective analytical skills with the ability to initiate, formulate, implement, monitor and evaluate strategies, policies, techniques and methodologies.
- Acquire and maintain a comprehensive knowledge of the requirements and functions of senior executive employees and Council under the Local Government Act 2009 and Local Government Regulations 2012.
- Remain abreast of contemporary practices and statutory requirements of the Work Health and Safety Act and Regulations 2011, Workers' Compensation and Rehabilitation Act 2003, Information Privacy Act 2009 and Right to Information Act 2009 and any other state and federal legislation delegated to Council for enforcement and ensure precise application and continued organisational compliance.
Why work for GRC?
The Gladstone Region is a dynamic Central Queensland coastal region that provides an enviable lifestyle and economic stability for more than 63,000 residents. Gladstone Regional Council is committed to a dynamic, proud and diverse future for the Gladstone Region that focuses on working together to balance our region’s lifestyle and opportunity. Our success is built on a foundation of safe, engaged, high performing talent and teams and a values-based culture centred around our SERVICE principles.
- We are fortunate to live in an attractive, growing region and proud to provide opportunity for personal growth and career development for our employees.
- We offer opportunities to grow your career within a progressive local government organisation and work in a high performing team that values your contribution.
- You will be rewarded with an attractive salary package including generous superannuation and a flexible roster that supports a generous work-life balance.
- We offer a range of employee benefits including free physiotherapy, support services and discounted health cover and fitness memberships.
Please be advised that the preferred candidate for this position, as a condition of employment, may be required to complete a criminal history check, a pre-employment medical or a skills assessment.
Council is committed to connecting with the Gladstone Regional community which values diversity and inclusion and encourages you to bring your whole self to work. First Nations people are encouraged to apply.