About the role
We are currently seeking an experienced and motivated manager to lead our established laboratory based in Rockhampton. Our team of construction materials testing technicians are vital in ensuring the quality and safety of the construction materials used in some of Australia's largest road, tunnel, airport, rail and residential projects. Our Melbourne Laboratory has a large capability and capacity across concrete, soils, aggregates, which makes this position both challenging and rewarding. This position sits within our Northern QLD region management team, with support from the Rockhampton Laboratory 2IC & reporting to the General Manager.
This role involve:
- Day-to-day management of the laboratory including organisation and delegation of field and laboratory work to staff, ensuring time critical deadlines and failures are appropriately managed;
- Management of financial results achieving financial objectives in line with the budget and actively undertaking activities to ensure debtor days are managed;
- With the support of the Functions Team, taking responsibility for people management in the laboratory including recruitment of new staff, approval of employee wages, performance management and staff training;
- Working with the Technical Sales Manager on business development related activities including identifying leads, submitting proposals, client engagement and maintaining positive client relationships;
- Manage compliance, quality management and continuous improvement; ultimately holding responsibility to ensure all tests are performed in accordance with NATA standards;
- Lead a safety culture in the laboratory, actively promoting safe work practices, controlling environmental conditions and taking prompt action for any incidents or injuries that may arise;
- Overseeing the performance of the laboratory in Quality and Safety; and
- Building a high performing team, with a focus on positive workplace culture.
Coffey Testing is offering an attractive salary for this position, provision of a Coffey Testing vehicle and relocation assistance for the right candidate.
We are looking for a candidate who can demonstrate the following criteria:
- Has 5+ years' experience in field and laboratory construction materials testing to relevant Australian standards;
- Demonstrated experience in managing or supervising teams in a laboratory environment;
- NATA Signatory with a high level of competence and understanding of AS/Q. standards and knowledge of NATA ISO/IEC 17025 requirements;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills essential when dealing with a range of different stakeholders;
- Demonstrates an unwavering commitment to quality assurance and workplace safety;
- Time management, organisation and prioritisation skills with a strong ability to manage multiple tasks or deadlines;
- Has the ability to work operate autonomously and as part of a team to achieve results, displaying a high level of self-motivation;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and other required systems (LIMS);
- Can work effectively under pressure, prioritising work to meet client demands; and
- Diploma in Laboratory Techniques is advantageous.
All successful applicants will undergo a drug, alcohol and medical assessment as part of our recruitment process.
Why Coffey Testing?
Here at Coffey Testing our employees are our biggest asset and we want our employees to experience job satisfaction. At Coffey Testing we have a range of employee benefits we offer nationally across the business;
- Investment in our employees growth and development through both internal and company funded external training;
- Opportunities to travel;
- Company initiatives such as monthly lab events and a recognition & reward program;
- Supportive and friendly team environment;
- Covered by an Enterprise Agreement offering above Award conditions to all technical staff;
- Health & Wellness initiatives;
- Additional paid parental leave; and
- Career advancement opportunities.
As one of Australia’s largest construction materials testing providers, we’ve been delivering testing services to the transport infrastructure, oil and gas and mining industries for over 60 years. We have an extensive network of permanent and site-specific testing facilities located across Australia, including in some of Australia’s most remote locations.
With that amount of experience and millions of tests under our belt – our clients choose us to provide deep insights into the properties of the materials they’re dealing with.
We apply specialised testing and analysis services, using international best practice and conformance standards to achieve detailed, quality results. We provide independent NATA accredited testing services
We believe in equal opportunity
At Coffey Testing, we pride ourselves on having a culturally diverse workforce and embrace the notion of equity.
We value the different talents, experiences and perspectives a culturally diverse workforce brings to our business.