Build a deeper capability
With a global business, we offer diverse and rewarding careers. We are committed to Thiess being a company and a culture where great people can excel and where they are developed and supported to reach their highest potential. Join our team today.
About the role
As our new stream Health Specialist (Health and Safety Advisor), your focus will mainly target the occupational health aspects of the workplace. Being the health specialist of our Health and Safety team, you will be reporting to the Senior Health and Safety Advisor. You will be responsible for providing coordination and technical advice in relation to occupational health injury and hygiene matters. These may include wellness programs, coordination of hygiene monitoring, drug and alcohol systems, incident reporting and investigations, risk assessments, and hazardous substances.
The role will primarily assist in determining and coordinating injury treatment and managing workplace injury claims inclusive of confidential health records. A key extension of the role is to support the continual improvement of the site's Safety and Health Management System to mitigate potential risks. This is a dynamic, hands-on role where flexibility and the ability to adapt quickly are key to your success.
Your main responsibilities will include:
- Play a pivotal role in early intervention and the application of the injury management process
- Coordinate and manage incident reporting inclusive work and non-work-related injury rehabilitation and illness
- Align the health and injury management processes with company policies and procedures including workplace insurance claims.
- Assist Supervisors and employees with the Return-to-Work process by developing proactive and timely strategies including individual health management plans
- Coordinate site drug and alcohol screening
- Assist with the coordination of the hygiene exposure monitoring program with the site service provider
- Assist in the development and delivery of health promotion initiatives for Lake Vermont workforce
- Assist with the management of site coal board medicals
- Engage and actively assist with the continual improvement of the site Safety and Health Management System to address site risks and key occupational hazards.
- Drive a strong safety culture and liaise with other departments to ensure the achievement of the site's safety objectives
- Champion all applicable Health and Safety Laws, Regulations and statutory obligations at all times.
- Complete department reporting for internal and external stakeholders including statutory compliance
Roster and Location:
- 8 days on 6 days off roster with camp accommodation and meals provided
- The Lake Vermont Project is situated outside of Dysart, in Central Queensland. This project is one of Thiess’ largest and longest running projects.
- Tertiary qualifications in Nursing, Physiotherapy or Allied Health
- A genuine passion for the health, safety, and risk reduction for our front-line personnel
- Experience in acute injury management and rehabilitation coordination
- Experience in drug and alcohol screening
- Ability to build strong working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders
- Strong computer skills
- Willingness to extend your skill base to include and facilitate the site Risk Management and Investigation processes
- Desirable but not essential;
- Previous site-based experience
- Accredited Return to Work Coordinator
- ICAM Investigations
- The ability to facilitate risk assessments
What Thiess can do for you
- Thiess’ commitment to ongoing training & development
- Option available for Company paid flights from Brisbane plus full camp facilities provided, travel allowance for DIDO employees or regional housing allowance for local living (Dysart) *conditions apply*
- Health & wellbeing rewards program through AIA Vitality
- Salary continuance insurance
- Salary sacrifice options – novated leasing
- Range of corporate discounts including health insurance (Medibank), travel & retail products.
- Referral bonus program – earn $5k for a successful referral
We partner with our clients to deliver excellence in open cut and underground mining in Australia, Asia, Africa and the Americas. For more than 80 years, we’ve operated in diverse commodities, geologies, environments and cultures. Our team uses that insight to optimise solutions for each project and create lasting value for our clients and the communities we live and work in.
Visit our website to learn more – http://www.thiess.com [link removed]
Driving a diverse, inclusive and respectful culture
We’re committed to safe, healthy and respectful workplaces. A place where everyone matters always.
We welcome and celebrate the differences and similarities among people including gender, identity, ethnicity, race, heritage, sexual orientation, disability, age, culture, religion, language, appearance, parental status and education.
We believe diverse experiences and perspectives not only make us more innovative, productive and engaged, but are crucial to our success.
If you require assistance to apply for this job because of disability or special needs, please contact us here [link removed]. No other requests will be acknowledged.
How to apply
This role is an opportunity to take the next step in your career. With our culture of recognition, development, and a stimulating and satisfying work environment, there is no better time to join Thiess.
To apply for this role, please click the ‘Apply’ button or the link below.