‘There’s nothing SWEETER than a Graduate position with Mackay Sugar’.
We offer a career pathway for young professionals to apply university learning in the workplace. Choosing to become a Mackay Sugar Graduate, is a great way to kick-start your career. Together, we’ll apply what you learnt at university, coupled with on-site experience, to give you every opportunity to succeed, and grow a meaningful career.
Here is what our Engineer Lachlan, had to say.
“On-site experience where a grad has an opportunity to make meaningful contributions”.
“Genuine opportunities for career progression, through several pathways”
“No day in the sugar industry is the same and one has the opportunity to work with a variety of people with a diverse range of skills and knowledge.”
About the role
The Graduate Chemical Engineer contributes to the development, design, and delivery of projects for new or existing process unit operations in order to enhance plant operational performance and improve system documentation.
Tasks specific to this role include:
- Provide day to day technical support to Factory Production staff as needed during crushing operations.
- Support root cause analysis and process investigations following significant plant stoppages and operational incidents in conjunction with other site teams.
- Contribute to site 5-year Plan in conjunction with the Production and Management Teams.
- Assist in the allocation of internal resources or request the need for external assistance to ensure the successful implementation of all operational projects in conjunction with the Production / Maintenance Teams.
- Actively contribute to and maintain the site management of change (MOC) process for site infrastructure, operational procedures, and documentation.
- Continue and support production standardisation in conjunction with the Production Superintendent, Engineering Superintendent, and their relevant teams.
We are looking for a person with:
- A strong safety focus and concern for the health and wellbeing of you and your work mates.
- Tertiary Qualifications in Applied Science or Chemical Engineering (Bachelor of Engineering or higher)
- Proven problem-solving knowledge.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Strong leadership and communication skills.
- The ability to prioritise, meet deadlines and deliver information with a high level of accuracy; and
- A focus on internal customer service.
Mackay Sugar Benefits
- Home Every Night / 2 Year Fixed Term Full Time Contract
- Relocation and short-term accommodation / housing options available
- 5 Weeks of Annual Leave
- Training and Development opportunities to maintain and expand your skill set.
- Access to discounted products and services at more than 500+ national vendors.
- Free annual flu vaccinations
About Mackay Sugar
Located in tropical North Queensland where a unique lifestyle can be blended with a progressive business, Mackay is home to Australia’s second largest sugar milling company, Mackay Sugar. With more than 140 years’ experience in raw sugar production and employing up to 800 people seasonally, Mackay Sugar is an iconic Australian brand that contributes significantly to our economy and community.
A member of the Nordzucker Group since 2019, Mackay Sugar is undergoing an exciting period of change and growth. Nordzucker is one of the leading sugar manufacturers in Europe and brings a network of global ideas, innovation, and opportunities to Mackay Sugar.
Mackay Sugar is an equal opportunity employer.