SGM environmental Pty Limited (SGME) is a boutique consultancy working throughout Australia and internationally, based in Brisbane and Mackay.
The SGME team is led by highly experienced professionals who are leaders in their fields, having held senior national positions prior to starting SGME. They are supported by a talented team of soil scientists, geochemists and mine closure planners. These skills are combined to help clients achieve their objectives in ways that create enduring value.
Due to strong growth we have an opportunity for a graduate to join our company, where valuable experience in soil science, geochemistry and mine closure planning will be gained.
In this role, the opportunity exists to work with and be mentored by industry leaders. As part of the team the successful application will work on a range of projects including environmental assessments, research, and management plans for operational projects and state significant developments. They will have the opportunity to work within different sectors including mining and extractive industries, infrastructure and land development. Participation in sample event planning and field assessments with the opportunity of overnight trips where required.
Preconditions: Mandatory Qualifications and Requirements
- be entitled to work in Australia;
- not be subject to any restrictions or restraints owed to any third party (for example to a former employer or under a work visa) that would prevent you from working for the company; and
- hold a Bachelor’s degree in environmental engineering or environmental science.
General Description of the role:
As a Graduate, you will carry out, in a supervised environment, the day-to-day tasks within a range of areas including:
- soil science (such as soil survey, rehabilitated land assessment, soil chemistry and physical characterisation);
- geochemistry (acid rock drainage, acid sulfate soils, contamination source, pathway and receptor studies);
- mine closures (rehabilitation certification, estimated rehabilitation costs, progress rehabilitation and closure plans); and
- environmental management, planning and approvals (surface and groundwater sampling, analysis and reporting, national pollution inventory reporting, national greenhouse and energy reporting, environmental approvals, operational management plans for mine sites).
Your duties, as a Graduate, will be supervised and include (but are not limited to):
- collecting and describing samples (which may be surface water, groundwater, sediment or soil augering);
- maintaining the sample log and submitting samples to the laboratory; and
- otherwise generally assisting while in the field.
Studies, Tests and Reports:
- running spreadsheets; creating graphs and completing GIS requirements for reports;
- running pre-instrument use calibrations; and
- preparing lower-level portions of a professional report.
Any other duties deemed necessary such as filing, taking notes at meetings and telephoning clients or others while conducting administrative tasks.
If you believe that you meet the requirements as stated above, please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote reference "Graduate 2023". To have your application considered it must include a tailored covering letter and CV.
Unsolicited resumes from recruitment consultants will not be accepted.