Grow your career with Thiess
As a global business, we are proud to offer diverse and rewarding career opportunities. We are committed to Thiess being a company that supports great people to succeed, develop their careers, and feel supported to reach their highest potential. We offer a safe and inclusive work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
We are seeking an experienced Geologist, Coal Quality to provide geological support to the mine to facilitate the safe and efficient running of mining operations at Pembroke Resource’s new project in the Bowen Basin - the Olive Downs Complex.
Pembroke Resource’s Olive Downs Complex is a greenfield project located 40 kilometres South-east of Moranbah and is due to commence mining operations in early 2023. Thiess has recently been awarded a five-year contract to deliver full-service mining operations, including mine planning overburden removal, drill and blast, load and haul, water management and rehabilitation as well as the construction of the mine infrastructure
About the role
Reporting to the Senior Geologist, your duties will include:
- Advise the project regarding geology and coal quality to meet production requirements to maximise the value of the coal to the client
- Ensure that coal and waste rock mining is conducted in a manner that improves safety, operational and financial effectiveness
- Have geological modelling capabilities with an understanding of exploration sampling, open-pit geology, mining loss and contamination parameters, coal recovery, and reconciliation
- Track and report on coal movement daily from the pit to the coal handling and preparation plant and maintain tracking records
- Interpret blast-hole geophysical-logging data to support the maintenance of the geological structural model (Vulcan ISM) to enable the provision of Accurate Coal surfaces to the Drill and Blast team
- Develop pre-mining geoscience plans for operations, identifying mining working sections and their respective qualities, quantities and delivery locations, faulting and intrusions, potential geotechnical hazards, minimum stand-off distances at crests and toes and batter angles as per geotechnical prescriptive standards.
- Prepare coal mined and dilution reconciliations against model, survey and CHPP feed weigher data on a monthly and block-by-block basis.
- Liaise with all relevant internal stakeholders to enhance coordination between the Technical Services, mining, coal handling, and Preparation Plant departments and maintain strong working relationships with personnel
- Assist with the Technical Service end-of-month (EOM) reporting processes as required
- Perform geotechnical inspections and assign TARP status as outlined in the Geotechnical PHMP.
- Perform highwall/end-wall defect mapping in PointStudio an incorporate it into the updated kinematic analysis.
- Manage geotechnical hazards that may arise in cooperation with the operations team.
- Fulfill support of geotechnical responsibilities as outlined in the Geotechnical PHMP
By joining our team, you will have the opportunity to be a part of a new workforce that is focused on developing a strong performance culture and a culture that values everyone’s contribution equally. You will thrive on meeting all goals and challenges, and act with fairness and integrity in all that you do.
As a successful applicant, you’ll be a high-achieving team-focused individual who enjoys delivering results in a dynamic environment. Your exceptional relationship-building skills coupled with your ability to engage and collaborate effectively with a diverse range of stakeholders will also ensure your success in this role.
- Tertiary qualifications in Geology or similar, complemented by relevant experience working in an operational mining environment, preferably open-cast coal
- A solution-based approach to dealing with challenges
- Strong computer skills preferably including Geological Modelling exposure (Vulcan)
- Ability to think strategically and act decisively
- Solid problem-solving and good written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of mine operations regulatory and legislative requirements
- Previous experience in mining geomechanics is highly regarded
What Thiess Can Do for You
- Help to grow your career, offering diverse and varied opportunities for advancement
- World-class health & wellbeing programs
- Salary sacrifice options
- A range of corporate discounts, including health insurance (Medibank), travel & retail products
- Genuine Choice Rosters - (Live Local, DIDO & FIFO)
- Referral bonus program
At Thiess, we partner with our clients to deliver excellence in open-cut and underground mining in Australia, Asia, and the Americas. For more than 85 years, we have operated in diverse commodities, geologies, environments, and cultures. Our team uses global insight to optimise solutions and create value for each project, positioning them for optimal efficiency, productivity, and cost performance, backed by how we meet our commitments. Thiess is committed to being at the forefront of sustainable mining, leveraging the power of our people and technology to support clients in their journey to more sustainable enterprises.
We recognise the value of an inclusive and diverse workplace through our vision of everyone matters always. We’re focused on creating an inclusive environment to allow our people to bring their best self to work because they feel safe, included and empowered.
Visit our website to learn more – http://www.thiess.com
Should you require assistance applying for this opportunity, please contact us @ firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply
This role is an opportunity to take the next step in your career. With our culture of recognition, development, and a stimulating and satisfying work environment, there is no better time to join Thiess.
To apply for this role, please click the ‘Apply’ button.
The Strong & Sustainable Resource Communities Act 2017 principles apply to this position.