Reduction Crew Leader
- Leadership position within a world class smelter
- Be part of close knit team with a strong commitment to safety
- Excellent career development opportunity within a global company
About the role
We are looking for a Reduction Crew Leader to lead one of four crews in the Line Operations output team in Reduction. The Reduction Crew Leader takes accountability for setting and maintaining the direction of the Reduction shift team, providing coaching and feedback to crew members, and leading the crew to deliver specific quality and quantity of output in a safe, agile and effective manner.
The crew consists of Operational and Process Controllers. It is an expectation to create a culture within the Crew which is aligned to the specific business objectives, and to display behaviours consistent with structured problem- solving and operational excellence.
This role is a great opportunity for an experienced crew leader to further develop their skills and experience whilst fostering a collaborative team culture on site. Reporting to the Reduction Line Superintendent you will be:
- Lead the Crew in a way that ensures that the performance of the team meets or exceeds plan
- Deliver operational excellence by identifying and implementing improvement initiatives.
- Conduct required audits and inspections to a high standard, and for the purpose of reinforcing a strong HSE culture and systems.
- Ensuring targets are consistently delivered in a sustainable/ timely manner and with maximum customer satisfaction
- Developing relief Crew Leaders
To be successfully considered for this role, you will have:
- Previous experience in smelter or refinery operational environment
- Demonstrated experience in leading teams
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Computer literacy including exposure to Microsoft Word and Excel
- Project management
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins witha first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers – generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium – the world’s first to be certified “responsible” – helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Where you will be working
Boyne Smelters Limited (BSL)
Opened in 1982, Boyne Smelters Limited is Australia’s second largest aluminium smelter with a 1,000-person strong workforce. Located approximately 20 kilometres south east of Gladstone at Boyne Island on the Central Queensland coast, BSL produces around 500,000 tonnes of aluminium per annum.
Activities at BSL include manufacturing carbon anodes in the carbon plant, aluminium production (smelting) in reduction lines, and casting of molten material into aluminium products ready to ship. The smelter is connected via a conveyor belt to the Queensland Alumina Limited refinery for the supply of alumina.
Along with Yarwun Operations and Queensland Alumina Limited, BSL supports the local community in a wide range of initiatives through Here for Gladstone
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
Closing date 27th October 2021
“Rio Tinto reserves the right to remove job postings prior to the stated closing date, therefore, if you are interested in applying for this vacancy please submit your application as soon as possible.”