At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About the Role
Based at our Hay Point Coal Terminal on a Monday - Friday roster, this role offers a diverse range of opportunity and experience in Control Systems and associated Operational Technologies across our Port Facilities.
Please note, this role does not offer FIFO so being a resident of Mackay and surrounding areas is a must.
Reporting to the Superintendent OT Site Operations Port, this Control Systems Engineering role provides specialist advice and executes tasks ensuring robust change control of Control Systems platforms to deliver availability, reliability, and production improvements.
In this role you will:
- Undertake control systems design and commissioning for plant modifications and new equipment installations
- Provide control systems support and technical assistance for breakdowns and production critical issues
- Investigate and identify the root cause of downtime events associated with control systems
- Support continuous improvement initiatives focused on increasing safety, reliability, and production throughput
- Govern and control blueprint elements (including standards, specifications, drawings, processes, systems, procedures, service continuity and disaster recovery plans) to reflect approved modifications
- Perform platform lifecycle management works including operating system and software application updates
- Establish and maintain close working relationships with relevant technology functions, site stakeholders, and vendors
To be successful in this role, you will possess:
- Demonstrated practical control system engineering experience within mine site and/or port facilities.
- Ideal experience encompasses bulk materials handling equipment, coal handling preparation plants, automated train loading/unloading, stacking, reclaiming, and ship loading operations
- Extensive PLC configuration and programming experience (preferably GE/Emerson)
- Rockwell / Allen Bradley, Modicon / Schneider, and/or Siemens experience will be considered relevant
- Configuration and programming experience across SCADA (CitectSCADA), OPC (Kepware), Historian (OSI PI), and Virtual Computing/Citrix platforms
- Very strong general computing skills, including knowledge of networking, computer programming (in languages such as Go, Python, C#), experience with SQL database queries, general data analysis experience (Excel and Power BI), and usage of version control systems (Proficy Change Management, Git, Subversion)
- Configuration and programming experience of fieldbus networks (preferably Profinet)
- Ethernet, Modbus, Profibus, and DeviceNet experience will be considered relevant
- Experience with hardware and software for Laser (LiDAR) and Radar Scanning, and GPS technologies
- Usage in machine automation, machine collision avoidance/protection, and stockpile modelling applications is highly desirable
- Configuration and programming experience with industrial devices such as safety controllers (Pilz), variable speed drives (Siemens), analogue and digital actuators and sensors
- Relevant Engineering or Information Technology Tertiary qualifications are highly desirable
- Current CPEng and Functional Safety qualifications (e.g. TUV Certified Engineer) are advantageous
About Our Process
At BHP, we are committed to employing individuals who align with the BHP Charter Values and meet the requirements of the role. As part of the recruitment process, there are a number of checks which may be conducted to demonstrate applicants suitability for a role including police / criminal background checks, medical, drug and alcohol testing, due diligence checks, right to work checks, and/or reference checks.
Supporting a Diverse Workforce
The size and magnitude of our business not only provides significant opportunity for professional development, but also attractive salary packages with performance-based bonuses and a unique BHP employee share program.
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.