- Be part of a group that is safety driven and values inclusion
- Join an encouraging leadership group, committed to your growth and development
- Residential role based in Gladstone, QLD
About the role
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
We are looking for a Contractor Coordinator to be part of the Site Services team and focus on the day-to-day maintenance of our site infrastructure to ensure the focus is on safety, environmental quality and the continual development of our contractor partners.
This is a great opportunity for a person who can hit the ground running, with a strong capability in people management who can utilise their skills, experience, and attributes to contribute to the overall success of the Site Services Department.
Leading on the frontline is one of the most important jobs in our business and comes with a huge amount of responsibility. We need you to motivate, inspire and keep our people safe and well.
With signature leadership training programs, growing and developing is more than an opportunity – it is something we actively plan and make happen. Every day our leaders grow, while our rosters are designed to help you live the lifestyle that is right for you and your family.
Working a lifestyle roster (R14 4DS, 5OFF, 5DS, 4OFF 5DS, 5OFF continuous roster) and reporting to the Superintendent – Contractor Management Group you will be responsible for:
- Managing and monitoring the completion of maintenance works to ensure safety, environmental, quality and budget obligations are achieved and taking prompt corrective action where required;
- Encouraging a proactive approach to safety where necessary conducting accident / incident investigations, hazard studies and up-skilling our Contractor Partners in safety tools and their use;
- Responsible for detailed planning and communication of your Contractor’s work;
- Build relationships across functions to achieve positive working environment for task execution;
- Leading various projects / activities and process improvements across site with a demonstrated commitment to on the field visual leadership;
- The provision of effective leadership in ensuring objectives / work schedules are maintained in line with business requirements;
- Identifying development and improvement opportunities for yourself and Contractor Partners;
- Contribute to the ongoing developing and maintenance of the BSL safety culture.
What you will bring
- A commitment to and passion for safety, environment and quality at work with the ability to promote this to all key stakeholders including management, trade personnel and contracting partners;
- Demonstrated Leadership experience with the ability to foster positive and productive working relationships and team culture;
- A steady career history and proven project management experience
- Trade background in electrical or civil highly regarded
- Proficiency in computer applications including SAP and Microsoft suite;
- Attention to detail with the ability to problem solve, work under pressure to short deadlines and react to unplanned situations;
- In-depth understanding and knowledge of health and safety issues relevant to work activities including the ability to interpret Standards, legislation, guidelines and procedures.
What we offer
- A safety-focused and inclusive working environment
- A competitive salary package with annual cash incentive awards (STIP)
- Access to top tier family-friendly health and medical programs
- Excellent retirement plan
- A comprehensive leave policy that covers all moments that matter in life (vacation/annual, paid parental leave, short term sick leave, paid holidays)
- Ongoing individual wellbeing support for you and your family for personal and professional matters
- Generous Rio Tinto employee share program
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers – generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium – the world’s first to be certified “responsible” – helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Where you will be working
Opened in 1982, Boyne Smelters Limited is Australia’s second largest aluminium smelter with a 1,000-person strong workforce. Located approximately 20 kilometres south east of Gladstone at Boyne Island on the Central Queensland coast, BSL produces around 500,000 tonnes of aluminium per annum.
Activities at BSL include manufacturing carbon anodes in the carbon plant, aluminium production (smelting) in reduction lines, and casting of molten material into aluminium products ready to ship. The smelter is connected via a conveyor belt to the Queensland Alumina Limited refinery for the supply of alumina.
Along with Yarwun Operations and Queensland Alumina Limited, BSL supports the local community in a wide range of initiatives through Here for Gladstone
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.