The Rockhampton Grammar School is seeking to employ an exceptional person to fill the Cleaner role.
Competitive salary, supportive work environment and welcoming community. Rockhampton Grammar School is located in Central Queensland close to the Capricorn Coast.
Rockhampton Grammar School was founded in 1881 and is an independent co-educational day and boarding school private school, educating and caring for students from Prep to Year 12, as well as the Early Learning Years. The School is the largest independent boarding school in Queensland and the second largest co-educational boarding school in Australia. It is a leading school in regional Queensland and one of the foremost schools in regional Australia. The Rockhampton Grammar School has achieved great success in the academic, cultural, sporting and vocational fields over the past 142 years. The School has a total enrolment of 1,400 students who are exposed to our broad curriculum, giving effect to our commitment of Grow in Character and Scholarship.
The School’s principal place of business is in Archer Street, Rockhampton, where Primary and Secondary campuses and boarding accommodation are located. The School also operates an Outdoor Education Facility, “Ritamada”, at Emu Park on the Capricorn Coast. It has a small farm at Port Curtis on the southern outskirts of Rockhampton, and Belmont Station on the northern outskirts of Rockhampton for cattle work. There is also a rowing facility, comprising club rooms and a training gymnasium, on the Fitzroy River adjacent to the rowing course and Rockhampton Grammar School Rugby Park.
About the role:
The cleaning team as a whole is responsible for maintaining high standards of cleanliness throughout the School and off site School properties. Each cleaner will be responsible for an area and will be expected to clean to the frequency and standard set out. At the discretion of the Business Manager, Grounds and Maintenance Manager or Cleaning Supervisor, cleaning staff will clean other areas as required.
The cleaner will work as part of a team to perform a variety of regular and one-off cleaning tasks and duties as directed by the Cleaning Supervisor.
You will take part in maintaining to high and consistent standards, the cleaning of designated area/s of the School on a daily basis. You will:
- Be responsible for cleaning certain parts of the School site/s as allocated by the Cleaning Supervisor (this will vary from time to time);
- Use cleaning materials as instructed by the Cleaning Supervisor;
- Operate cleaning machinery in cleaning soft and hard surfaces e.g. vacuum cleaners and polishers;
- Take initiative to perform cleaning and tidying tasks that are not specifically contained within the position description but require attention as part of maintaining overall high standards;
- Liaise with Cleaning Supervisor and Grounds & Maintenance Manager and other members of staff as required to ensure cleaning operates smoothly around both school events and outside School hire;
- Report cleaning supplies requirements and stock levels to the Cleaning Supervisor;
- Ensure Health & Safety, quality and general procedure compliance;
- Work as part of a team and support other members of the cleaning team to meet standards and school objectives;
- All cleaners are required to contribute to major cleaning tasks during School holidays
Carry out the following duties:
- Vacuum or sweep cleaning hard and soft floors;
- Spot cleaning of spillages;
- Wiping furniture, desks, ledges, skirting, paintwork, doors and polishing door and window glass;
- Remove marks from glass, doors, windows, walls;
- Emptying and cleaning bins (including wheelie bins);
- Clean toilets including sanitary fittings and surrounds, urinals, hand basins and sinks, baths, showers and drinking fountains;
- Refill toilet dispensers in all cubicles;
- Refill paper towels in each dispenser;
- Wipe tiles;
- Mopping and spray cleaning hard floor surfaces;
- Wiping and polishing and straightening furniture;
- Replenishing cleaning supplies in toilets etc.;
- Cleaning of external areas (high pressure hosing, blowing);
- All defects/hazards must be immediately reported to the Cleaning Supervisor;
- Any other cleaning duties as required.
- Working with Children Check;
- Police Check;
- Safeguarding Children Training
Safeguarding children and young people
The School takes child protection seriously, and as a staff member or volunteer of The Rockhampton Grammar School, you are required to meet the behaviour standards outlined in our Practice and Behaviour Guidelines. You will receive a copy of these guidelines as part of the induction process.
Therefore as a part of your duties and responsibilities, you are also required to:
- Provide a welcoming and safe environment for children and young people;
- Promote the safety and well-being of children and young people to whom we provide services;
- Ensure that your interactions with children and young people are positive and safe;
- Provide adequate care and supervision of children and young people in your charge;
- Act as a positive role model for children and young people;
- Report any suspicions, concerns, allegations or disclosures of alleged abuse to management;
- Maintain valid “working with children” documentation;
- Undergo periodic “national criminal history record” checks;
- Report to management any criminal charges or convictions you receive during the course of your employment that may indicate a possible risk to children and young people.
Conditions of employment
The successful applicant will be subject to a “Working with Children Check and Criminal Records Check” where applicable. The School undertakes several screening processes to ensure the appropriate protection of children and young people in its care. This includes reference checks, identity checks qualification check and professional registration checks.
How to apply
- Read the Notice to all Candidates – Staff Safer Recruitment Policy and Recruitment and Selection Policy on the RGS website (http://www.rgs.qld.edu.au/employment)
- Complete an Application for Employment Form (Teaching or Non-Teaching, depending on whether applicant is a teacher) – found on RGS website (http://www.rgs.qld.edu.au/employment)
- Submit your completed Application for Employment Form with your Cover Letter and comprehensive Curriculum Vitae to email@example.com by 4pm on Friday 2 June 2023.
Enquiries about the position should be directed to Rodney Norris (07) 4936 0661.
Only successful applicants will be contacted.