Our reputation is built on solid ground!
Metallurgical coal is an essential ingredient in blast-furnace steel manufacture, producing steel used for critical building and infrastructure around the world. In Australia, we operate two open cut and three underground metallurgical coal mines in Queensland’s Bowen Basin, every year producing millions of tonnes of the highest quality hard coking coal for this purpose.
This is an exciting opportunity for a safety-focused individual ideally with a mechanical background in maintenance within a processing environment to join our team at Dawson Mine in Moura, QLD.
Reporting to the Maintenance Supervisor, the Belt Technician is accountable for completing mechanical maintenance functions within the Coal Handling Preparation Plant (CHPP) in order to optimise the performance of the CHPP process in accordance with the business plan. This is achieved through monitoring performance against the plan and collaborating with maintenance team, maintenance contractors and production team.
About the Role
- You will contribute to the reliability, availability, and optimisation of the Coal Preparation Plant processes through best practice logistics and maintenance services. Including but not limited to splicing of conveyor belts (both fabric and steel cord), hot and cold conveyor belt repairs, conveyor mechanical maintenance.
- Monitor the performance against the plan and provide feedback to supervisor and crews.
- Monitor equipment performance to identify opportunities to improve operational asset availability.
- Actively promote and seek opportunities to improve the CHPP processes, particularly with regard to more efficient use of equipment.
- Must be able to work effectively within a team to deliver departmental plans and continuous improvement objectives.
- Provide support and assistance to other members of the CHPP Maintenance department and work closely with the Maintenance Supervisors and Maintenance Teams to establish work priorities.
- Foster collaborative relationships with team members, ensuring that AAMC’s culture and values are promoted in all interactions.
- Ensure compliance with all systems and provide governance to ensure the system is optimised and the standards are consistent.
- Identify and report opportunities for improvement to system owners.
- Contribute to the performance of the department and work collaboratively with other team members to deliver on department objectives in line with the business plan.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the department objectives.
- Monitor individual performance against the objectives of the department in line with the 5 year plan.
- Be an effective team member by demonstrating a commitment to safety and positive working behaviours.
- Maintain a high level working knowledge of Safety Processes and Procedures.
Trade Qualification and/or Degree from a tertiary institution relevant to discipline – Belt Splicing.
Experience and/or knowledge in the following:
- Process and record information using SAP for work order and notifications
- Cut rubber materials
- Operate portable vulcanizing equipment
- Remove and replace conveyor belts
- Repair conveyor belt carcasses
- Repair conveyor belt covers
- Splice steel cord conveyor belts
- Splice fabric ply conveyor belts
- Identify equipment faults
- Install rubber lining or pulley lagging using lay-up techniques
- Operate hand-held air or power equipment for production processes
It is essential for the incumbent to demonstrate experience and/or knowledge in the following also:
- Coal Processing Operations
- HR/MR License required
- Experience with safety management systems
- Experience within a mining Fixed Plant Operation
- Experience crushing, dry & wet screening plants.
- Experience troubleshooting crushing, conveying and hydraulic system
- Demonstrated ability to approach work with a ‘can do attitude’
- Work well within a team to achieve combined success
- EWP, Forklift, Dogging and Rigging Certificates (desirable)
- Full-time, permanent position
- 4/3 Tuesday – Friday Dayshift Only Roster
- Location: Dawson Mine, Moura QLD
- Residential, DIDO, FIFO (salary sacrifice only) options
- Subsidised accommodation available
What we Offer
When you join Anglo American, you can expect to enjoy a competitive salary and benefits package. But more than this, you’ll find yourself in an environment where the opportunities for learning and growth are second to none. From technical training to leadership programmes, we bring out the best in our people. There are plenty of opportunities to move onwards and upwards too. We’re a large, successful multinational company – and we’re still growing all the time.
Who we are
We aim to lead the industry by pursuing ever safer and more responsible ways of working, demonstrating integrity, and showing care and respect for people and the planet. That means we are constantly seeking new opportunities to mine and process our products sustainably, using less water, less energy and more precise extraction technologies. As the custodians of coal and other precious natural resources – diamonds (through De Beers), copper, platinum and other precious metals, iron ore and nickel – our extraordinary teams work safely and collaboratively, with the utmost consideration for local communities, our customers and the world at large.
Successful candidates will be required to complete background screening which may include a criminal check and validation of qualifications.
Inclusion and Diversity
At Anglo American, we embrace change and promote an inclusive and diverse environment where you can bring your whole self to work, every day. We are adopting new approaches to recruitment, talent development, mentoring, parental leave, and flexible working to further support diversity across our business.
How we are committed to your safety
Nothing is more important to us than ensuring you return home safely after a day’s work. To make that happen, we have the most rigorous safety standards in the industry. Not only that, we’re also continually investing in new technologies – from drones to data analytics – that are helping to make mining safer.
In line with the Anglo American Metallurgical Coal COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, the Company requires employees, contractors and visitors to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of entry to a Metallurgical Coal managed operation (including camp) and the Anglo American Brisbane Corporate Office, unless an individual exemption has been granted.
Individuals who believe they have a genuine reason as to why they cannot comply to this Policy can apply to be an Exempt Individual by making an Exemption Application to the Company which will be considered during the recruitment process.
Unless an exemption has been granted, proof of vaccination requirements must be provided as part of the recruitment process and employment with Metallurgical Coal will be subject to satisfying this requirement.
This requirement is to safeguard the health of our workers and their families; and the community at large from the COVID-19 virus, the associated risks and effects of which can be reduced by vaccinations.
Do you know someone who would fit this role? Employee referrals will be accepted for this job. Refer to your local Referral Guidelines for policy conditions and amounts.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our online application form. You will have the opportunity to upload your CV and other relevant documentation as part of this process
15th May 2022
Please note, screening and interview mat take place prior to closing date - applications may also close before this date.
Anglo American Metallurgical Coal does not accept unsolicited applications from Recruitment Agencies.