Blue Planet Marine (BPM) is a leading environmental research and consulting firm providing expert scientific services in the marine environment. We have drawn together a highly specialised team of marine scientists, technical and policy experts and marine specialists in order to provide world-class, cost-effective marine environmental research, monitoring and management.
BPM has a range of vessels ranging in size from 4.2m to 35m which support our operations throughout Australia. The bulk of our work is currently within Queensland waters and centered within the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park, with both fixed and varying voyage swings being typically 14 days duration.
Role title: At Sea Cook
Employment type: Casual
Location: Gladstone (or other locations as agreed with BPM General Manager – BPM GM). This is not a fly-in, fly-out position.
Reporting to: Vessel Operations Manager through the Vessel Master
Co-workers: other BPM staff (including COTS Operations Manager, Logistics/HSE Manager, Technical Officer, Finance Manager, Accounts Manager, Vessel crew and COTS Dive Team)
The main responsibilities of this role will include but not be limited to:
- Co-ordinate all meal requirements and provisions for the duration of the voyage
- Preparation of ingredients and menus
- Ordering and purchasing of goods within a set budget
- Catering to dietary requirements as required
- Preparation of all meals
- Stock control for the duration of the voyage
- Operating kitchen equipment and cleanup/food area maintenance
- Maintain galley and mess to a satisfactory standard
- Ensuring compliance with WHS and food safety regulations
- Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) form a large part of the measures of this role’s success and therefore meeting all KPIs (as agreed at commencement) is paramount.
- Additional duties will include
- Assisting with handling ropes when berthing
- Working with the BPM team to maintain the vessel in an organised and clean state
- Overseeing laundry and housekeeping duties
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
The successful applicants will meet the following criteria:
- Documented evidence of working to WHS and food hygiene requirements
- Experience working in a similar environment or position
- Strong commercial cookery experience
- Ability to manage changing schedules and timelines
- Friendly outgoing personality with good communication skills
- Ability to work professionally with internal & external clients
- Reliable & punctual
- High standard of personal presentation with a professional attitude
- Ability to work within a team offshore for several weeks
- Driver’s License (Manual)
- Capable of meeting operational deadlines
- Shipboard safety certification
- Radio operators license
- Deck hand experience
- Coxswain or Master qualifications
- Certificate of full vaccination against COVID-19
Candidates who possess previous marine experience and don’t get seasick will be highly regarded.
Requirement for working on weekends and public holidays
This position will be required to work weekend and public holidays on a regular basis.
Wages will be based on Ports Harbours and Enclosed Waters Award 2020.
Interested applicants are asked to submit their current resume and a cover letter addressing the above criteria by COB Thursday 30th November.
Contact: For any questions contact Tim Phillips via email at email@example.com