About the role
We are currently seeking an experienced and motivated 2IC to work with our Laboratory Supervisor to lead our successful Rockhampton team of construction materials testing technicians who are vital in ensuring the quality and safety of the construction materials used in some of QLD's largest road, tunnel, airport, rail and residential projects. Our Rockhampton Laboratory has a large capability and capacity across concrete, soils, aggregates, rock and chemical testing making the team one of the most unique in Australia which makes this position both challenging and rewarding. This position sits within our Northern QLD region management team, reporting directly to the Rockhampton Laboratory Supervisor.
This role involve:
- Day-to-day management of the laboratory including organisation and delegation of field and laboratory work to staff, ensuring time critical deadlines and failures are appropriately managed;
- Effectively rostering employees both permanent and casual to ensure the lab is run efficiently with maximum results:
- Train, educate and mentor employees to ensure each individual employee reaches their full potential, by developing their skills and level of competency by way of instruction and demonstration.
- Build meaningful relationships with key stakeholders by honestly interpreting, analysing and providing accurate technical feedback on various material types as required:
- Demonstrate initiative and identify issues and areas of continuous improvement as they arise, by being solution focused.
- Supporting and driving compliance, quality management and continuous improvement in the laboratory; ensuring all tests are performed in accordance with NATA standards:
- Lead a safety culture in the laboratory, actively promoting safe work practices, controlling environmental conditions and taking prompt action for any incidents or injuries that may arise. Ensuring all employees adhere to the standards set by Coffey Testing;
- Engage and work collaboratively with the broader Functions teams to ensure the delivery of projects and initiatives to support business needs and improve overall performance:
- Work with the Northern QLD General Manager to build the laboratory scope when identified opportunities arise;
- Identify opportunities for growth and work with both the Laboratory Manager and the Northern QLD General Manager to quantify leads, due diligence of pre sales, build and maintain positive relationships with current and future clients;
- Accurately and timely invoicing in line with agreed terms with clients;
- Undertaking sampling, testing and reporting as required;
Coffey Testing is offering an attractive salary for this position, provision of a Coffey Testing vehicle for the right candidate.
We are looking for a candidate who can demonstrate the following criteria:
- Has 5+ years' experience in field and laboratory construction materials testing to relevant Australian and Q. standards;
- Demonstrated experience in managing or supervising teams in a laboratory environment;
- NATA Signatory with a high level of competence and understanding of AS/Q. standards and knowledge of NATA ISO/IEC 17025 requirements;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills essential when dealing with a range of different stakeholders;
- Demonstrates an unwavering commitment to quality assurance and workplace safety;
- Time management, organisation and prioritisation skills with a strong ability to manage multiple tasks or deadlines;
- Has the ability to work operate autonomously and as part of a team to achieve results, displaying a high level of self-motivation;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and other required systems (LIMS);
- Can work effectively under pressure, prioritising work to meet client demands; and
- Diploma in Laboratory Techniques is advantageous.
All successful applicants will undergo a drug, alcohol and medical assessment as part of our recruitment process.
Why Coffey Testing?
Here at Coffey Testing our employees are our biggest asset and we want our employees to experience job satisfaction. At Coffey Testing we have a range of employee benefits we offer nationally across the business;
- Investment in our employees growth and development through both internal and company funded external training;
- Opportunities to travel;
- Company initiatives such as monthly lab events and a recognition & reward program;
- Supportive and friendly team environment;
- Covered by an Enterprise Agreement offering above Award conditions to all technical staff;
- Health & Wellness initiatives;
- Additional paid parental leave; and
- Career advancement opportunities.
As one of Australia’s largest construction materials testing providers, we’ve been delivering testing services to the transport infrastructure, oil and gas and mining industries for over 60 years. We have an extensive network of permanent and site-specific testing facilities located across Australia, including in some of Australia’s most remote locations.
With that amount of experience and millions of tests under our belt – our clients choose us to provide deep insights into the properties of the materials they’re dealing with.
We apply specialised testing and analysis services, using international best practice and conformance standards to achieve detailed, quality results. We provide independent NATA accredited testing services
We believe in equal opportunity
At Coffey Testing, we pride ourselves on having a culturally diverse workforce and embrace the notion of equity.
We value the different talents, experiences and perspectives a culturally diverse workforce brings to our business.